The first world tamburitza (Serbian: “tamburica”) festival will be held June 27th-29th in the village of Deronje close to Odžaci in western Vojvodina. Tamburica is a string instrument, smaller than a guitar, popular in Vojvodina and Slavonija.
Admirers, followers and fans of tamburitza music will have the opportunity and pleasure to enjoy the sound of tamburitza music during the three day festival. During the informal part of the program, fans of this instrument will have the opportunity to enjoy tamburitza music day and night in the surrounding restaurants. This way visitors will have the opportunity to choose an orchestra which will play as they desire.
At the final night of the Festival, six best orchestras will play at the competition for the festival awards, where performances of all participants will be evaluated by a professional jury.
Besides music, as a basis of the Festival program, many accompanying cultural events are scheduled:
- Professional gathering of ethno musicologists devoted to tamburitza music
- Tamburitza Exhibition
- Meeting of Restorers and Makers of Tamburitzas
- Art Colony Exhibition
- Hackney-Carriages Parade
- Old Timer’s Rally Race from Novi Sad to Deronje
- Aero Meeting above the Village
- Regatta of Boats, Starting in Belgrade
- Welcoming of the Train „Romantika“ Arriving from Belgrade
- Folklore and Competition in Stew Cooking
For more information visit the Festival’s official site.